Year of the Bible 2020
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Year of the Bible 2020

This is a forum for diverse members to discuss themes and questions from reading through the Bible together.

HomeCalendarLatest imagesFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

19: 25 "I know that my Redeemer lives"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

19: 25 "I know that my Redeemer lives" Empty
PostSubject: 19: 25 "I know that my Redeemer lives"   19: 25 "I know that my Redeemer lives" EmptyFri Jan 10, 2020 4:47 am

In what are often long passages, this one verse sticks out. I had forgotten where I knew it from, but my study bible points out that Handel used it in Messiah, which we sang in high school. It's often seen as a strong indicator of faith. But it's interesting to me that he even has the concept of a Redeemer in his perception of God, especially in light of our other discussion of resurrection. Usually sacrifices were seen as the means to removing of sin, not God himself. I wonder if he meant it in the context of removing sin, or just in vindicating him before his friends.
Back to top Go down
https://yearbible2020.forumotion.com
sm1234

PostSubject: Re: 19: 25 "I know that my Redeemer lives"   19: 25 "I know that my Redeemer lives" EmptyFri Jan 10, 2020 11:52 pm

I think he was thinking more vindicator or redeeming from his earthly negative situation but I like verses like this that point me to Jesus - whether or not Jon intended it.
Back to top Go down
btay06

PostSubject: Re: 19: 25 "I know that my Redeemer lives"   19: 25 "I know that my Redeemer lives" EmptyWed Jan 29, 2020 7:41 am

My commentary talks about what “redeemer” meant in context at the time - a family member buys a slave’s freedom. It said at the time, there was not much of a doctrine on resurrection. The core of the statement goes to his faith. While he was unaware of the conference with Satan, Job firmly believed that God would be on his side in the end.

The commentary also points to Psalm 16:10, Isaiah 26:19 and Daniel 12:2-13. It states that Job is one of the first recorded to talk of resurrection.

I tend to think he was talking about his redemption on earth - whether it be relief from his suffering or resurrection because of verses 26 and 27.

This verse stood out to me as well. And the verse before it which states: “oh, that my words recorded ... engraved on a rock forever!” Funny to me, reading this thousands of years later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 19: 25 "I know that my Redeemer lives"   19: 25 "I know that my Redeemer lives" Empty

Back to top Go down

19: 25 "I know that my Redeemer lives"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Year of the Bible 2020 :: January Daily Discussions :: Jan 8: Job 17 - 20-
Jump to: